Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Just For C-Note!

Saw an old friend of mine the other day and we were commiserating over the fact that we are both totally out of the loop on music these days. However, I've thought of some stuff that maybe she hasn't heard of (or heard enough of) and thought I'd post it here so it is all in one place. Everyone else is welcome to look too! Plus, it's a good excuse for me to rock out for a bit! (ps-C-Note, if you hate all of it, no worries, just thought I'd give it a shot!)

Matt & Kim
I'd say start with the album "Grand", graduate to "Sidewalks" if you like it (and go from there..."Lightning" is good but too new for me to have a real big opinion on). They're even from NYC too so you can go say hi!

Kids of 88
Another indie/pop/electronic band, this time from New Zealand. A little more emphasis on the electronic this time. They JUST released their second album "Modern Love", which I'm digging so far, but you can't go wrong with their first one "Sugarpills".

Fight Like Apes
I'm sure you've heard me mention these guys, but they are still amazing. Yes, they are completely filthy, but that's part of the charm! Hahaha Seriously though, I just picked 3 songs at random, I could fill this whole page with FLA songs!

Vacationer
While I really enjoy their album (and I do!), these guys are great live (and they are from back east and seem to play NYC a lot)! They only have the one album, so that makes life easier. Very chill, almost island/beach vibe type music.

The Naked & Famous
I'm sure you have heard these guys even if you don't realize it. Another NZ band (but I didn't find them on my trip unlike Kids of 88). These two songs have been EVERYWHERE.

The Black Seeds
Don't know if this is really up your alley, C-Note, but if you want a good reggae band, check these guys out. Another band from NZ; I'd heard of them before I went over there since Bret from Flight of the Conchords was in this band at one time, but I didn't really get into them until after my trip.

That's probably enough for now. Maybe I'll make a second post with some random songs or stuff later... Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ben you're wonderful!!!
    Thank you so much!!!
    The only band I have heard of is Matt and Kim and I have only heard the Daylight song... so this is fantastic! (By the way the piano cat is hilarious.)
    I like Kids 88, they remind me of Hot Hot Heat.
    When I get through the rest of the songs I'll let you know what I think.

    BTW: Check out the band Royal Teeth. They have a lot of talent and put on a fabulous show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM6ctdO-x-0

    ReplyDelete